Student Job Opportunity – Special Event Coordinator
Terms: 15 Weeks (Beginning May 15th)
The Special Events Coordinator Position:
The Special Events Coordinator helps to advance W.E. Care for Kids’ mission by providing event planning support. This position reports to the Operations Manager and is specifically responsible for coordination of special events, such as the annual fundraising gala.
The Special Events Coordinator provides broad support for W.E. Care for Kids events, including event logistics, rentals and contracts, working with volunteer committees, invitations and programs, decorations, seating, signage, as well as soliciting and coordinating silent and live auctions. The Special Events Coordinator also assists with 3rd party fundraisers and donor events.
The Special Events Coordinator must have excellent verbal and written communications skills and an understanding of donor-centered communications. The Special Events Coordinator must also be able to balance multiple projects and meet deadlines while exuding a positive attitude. The Special Events Coordinator must be able to work independently as well as be a team player willing to help wherever is needed.
- Work closely with the Operations Manager coordinating all aspects of fundraising events which include the confirmation of participants and vendors prior to the event, on-site management, and post-event follow-up
- Manage event logistics, such as venue, rentals (e.g. A/V, tent) and contracts
- Solicit and manage silent and live auctions:
- Solicit donations
- Create packages
- Acknowledge and recognize donors
- Work with a volunteer committee
- Assist with volunteer management and recruitment
- Assist with third party fundraisers when required
Skills and Qualifications:
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada Requirements
- Candidates much be a Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents and/or otherwise eligible to work in Canada
- Candidates from the 15 week position must be under 30 years of age and returning full-time to University or College in fall 2017. Students enrolled in a BA, Communications Studies, Public Relations, Event Planning or Volunteer Management programs are preferred. Outstanding candidates with an interest in investment in special events from other programs will be considered.
Windsor Essex Care for Kids Foundation Requirements:
- High School Diploma, some college or university is an asset
- Some experience working or volunteering in the non-profit sector
- Experience assisting with events
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to build and foster relationships
- Ability to multi-task successfully
- Excellent computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of social media and related strategies
- Experience in and aptitude for effectively working with volunteers
- High energy and passion for the W.E. Care for Kids mission
- Valid driver’s license and consistent access to vehicle
The successful candidate must reside within Windsor/Essex County. The successful candidate must arrange his/her own travel to and from the W.E. Care for Kids offices on a daily basis; job may also require travel throughout Windsor/Essex County for solicitation of donations, or event planning. Successful candidate must provide an up to date police clearance.
This position is a full-time contract position funded through the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) for a 15 week period with 35.5 hours per week. This position requires a flexible schedule with the ability to work some evenings and weekends, as required. Projected start is May 15, 2017, with contract ending August 25, 2017
Send cover letter and resume , along with three (3) references no later than May 5, 2017 at 3pm. This position is funded by HRSDC.
Applications should be sent electronically in PDF format to the Operations Manager at email@example.com, with subject header “Special Events Coordinator”. Please no phone calls, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank you in advanced for your interest.
The Windsor Essex Care for Kids Foundation (W.E. Care for Kids) is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to enhancing the health and wellness of the children in our community through fundraising initiatives. Since it’s founding in 1997, W.E. Care for Kids has raised over $7.6 million in support of local paediatric health programs at Windsor Regional Hospital’s Met and Ouellette Campus, John McGivney Children’s Centre, Leamington District Memorial Hospital, Windsor Essex Therapeutic Riding Association, and most recently the Ronald McDonald House Windsor.
To learn more about W.E. Care for Kids please visit our website at www.wecareforkids.org